How do I pick the right dog for my home and family?
Knowing the questions to ask and research ahead of time can prove vital to picking the best dog and breed for your home. Here are some questions we suggest considering before looking for a new companion.
- What is my and my family’s activity level?
- Who is the primary caregiver for the dog?
- Is there a fenced yard?
- Does anyone in the family have allergies or asthma?
- Are there breed restrictions applied to the neighborhood or home?
- Are all family members (including current pets) ready to handle an adjustment period with a new animal?
- Is the family ready to commit to the animal for the rest of the animals life (10+ years)?
- Is the family financially ready to take on costs associated with a new dog, including food and medical bills?
What’s the best way to find the right dog for me?
We understand that adding a new pet to your family is a big deal. You want to make sure you choose a dog that fits with you and your lifestyle, and we want to help. Knowing the right questions to ask is vital to picking out your future canine companion. Here are a few things you should ask yourself before you adopt:
- What is my activity level? Do I want an energetic dog to take jogging and hiking with me? Or would I prefer a low-key dog that doesn’t require quite as much exercise?
- Who will be the primary caregiver for the dog? Are they prepared for that responsibility?
- Do I have a fenced yard where my dog can safely play?
- Do I or anyone in my family have allergies or asthma?
- Are there breed restrictions in my city, neighborhood or apartment?
- Are all family members ready to make the adjustment to having a new dog? How will my current pets react to a new pack member?
- Am I ready to commit to my new dog for the rest of its life (10+ years)?
- Am I willing and able to take on the financial costs associated with owning a dog, including food, toys, medical bills, etc.?
Considering these questions will help you match up with the perfect pet for you and your family. We also suggest doing a little research on different breeds of dogs to get a good idea of what would suit you best. You are also welcome to contact us with any questions you have about choosing the right companion for you.
Ready to adopt? Here is what happens next.
Where can I look at the dogs you have available for adoption?
Pictures and bios of our adoptables can be accessed right here through the Ruff Patch website. Just click on the Adopt A Dog tab at the top of the page to browse through the dogs we have available.
If you’d like to meet our dogs in person, you can join us at one of our adoption events at the PetSmart (13296 S. Kestrel Range Rd, Riverton, UT 84096) most Saturdays from 1pm to 3pm.
You are also welcome to schedule a private meet-and-greet with any of our rescue dogs after filling out an adoption application (see Forms).
Why do you charge an adoption fee?
Each of our rescue dogs has an adoption fee, ranging from $160 to $350. This fees covers the cost of care and any special needs the dog had while in our program. It also covers the cost of the spay/neuter, vaccines, de-worming, and microchip that are a part of each dog’s adoption package.